After selecting a lot, it’s time to decide on a floor plan that fits your needs. There are two ways to find your dream home: working from a predesigned plan or designing your home from scratch. We’ve outlined what’s beneficial about both processes to help you decide how to move forward with your dream home.
WORKING FROM A PRE-DESIGNED PLAN
- Working from a predesigned plan can be beneficial especially if you have a tight or limited budget. It will help eliminate unnecessary ‘what if’ scenarios while still allowing you to customize the home to your specifications.
- It can be easier to visualize a home from a predesigned home than a blank page. With the endless possibilities available, sometimes it can be overwhelming to design completely from scratch if you have a tendency towards indecisiveness.
- By having a builder that has multiple model homes and utilizes new technology like Virtual Tours, it’s becoming easier to imagine what a floor plan will look, feel and flow like.
- The design process is often shorter than if you were to design a home from scratch, just based on the amount of time it takes for revisions, edits and communication back and forth between owner and architect. Working from a pre-designed plan still allows homeowners to customize the finish, flow and feel of the home overall – it simply expedites the design process.
DESIGNING CUSTOM FROM SCRATCH
- One of the most important things when it comes to designing a home from scratch, is to have an architect that you trust inherently. When it comes to drawing and designing your home, trust will make the process easier.
- Designing from scratch can be ideal for those who already know what they want in a home. If you have a defined vision with a set list of items, especially in regard to architectural style and floor plan flow, designing from scratch could be perfect for you. If there’s a unique feature that you want, like a built-in wine cellar or a customized craft room, designing from scratch could be the right path for you.
- If your budget and building time frame is flexible, this could be a good option for you as well. The design stage, when designing from scratch, can last anywhere from one to three months.
Whichever design path you take, you can trust that the architectural experts at Old Town Design Group will help you every step of the way. By providing a personal design experience both from scratch and a predesigned plan, you’re in capable hands with the Old Town team. Start your design journey today by visiting any of our model homes or calling 317.816.3150.CONTACT A NEW HOME CONSULTANT TO SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION